Are you just starting out on your adoption journey? Or know someone who is? It can be an overwhelming thing when you are beginning the process and are looking at mounds of paperwork, a looming home study, and questions (from you and everyone else!)
We have asked some mamas who have walked the path of adoption for their advice to anyone starting an adoption journey and wanted to share some of their tips with you!
10 TIPS FOR NAVIGATING ADOPTION:
- COMMUNITY: “Surround yourself now with a community of people who love you and support your journey—you’ll need that support and encouragement along the way.”
- PATIENCE: “Manage your expectations going in, and prepare yourself to be extremely patient.”
- MARRIAGE: “If you have a significant other, try as hard as you can to stay on the same page. This journey is hard on the heart, mind, and body – so communication and support are incredibly important!”
- OPENNESS: “Your child’s adoption story is theirs, don’t share with everyone. It’s the child’s to share if they decide. Also – if you are considering an open adoption, think about what openness means for you and your family.”
- ORGANIZATION: “Keep copies of EVERYTHING! Many forms require the same information to be entered, so staying organized and having documentation you’ll need over and over again is imperative.”
- EMOTIONS: “Be prepared for a roller coaster of emotions – happy, sad, frustrated, excited and mostly patience! Research your options and research medical issues as much as you are able, so you can prepare as well as possible for the future.”
- HOME STUDY: “Home Study’s are a breeze- just complete your paperwork ASAP! Also it’s a great idea to have your finances in place before you go live (or at least have a plan!) There are lots of great ideas for fundraising out there, too!”
- RESEARCH: “Research, research and research some more the agency you want to go with!!! Do not just call the references they give you. Do as much research as you can, but also trust your gut.”
- ENJOY THE JOURNEY: “It’s a journey! This means it can be exciting, scary and bumpy and then back to exciting. Some unexpected turns will arise, so pack your bags for the unexpected.”
- BREATHE: “Take a deep breathe and try to stay as calm as you can! Everything happens for a reason and will lead you to your child.”
If you have any other questions about where to begin on your adoption journey, feel free to reach out! Adoption is an adventure, and it truly does take a village!
Whether you’re just starting or in the middle of your adoption journey, be sure to follow us on Instagram! There are lots amazing adoptive mamas on Instagram where you’ll find encouragement and a community who truly understands!